Thursday 15 October 2009

Chapter 2


Tim had spent the last three weeks in frantic panic. Most of his time had been spent at the hospital sitting by his unconscious son, hoping and praying that Joe would wake. And when he wasn’t at the hospital, he was worrying about what might happen now he wasn’t there. He had asked Wendy, his loyal secretary, to visit as often as she could when Tim was working. It was something he hated to do, ask Wendy to do something so mundane, but it put his mind to rest, and Wendy claimed not to mind. To Tim, those three weeks had seemed like three years.
The doctors were nice enough, and the head paediatrician, a young woman called Liz, was very reassuring and comforting. “You needn’t worry, Mr Fox. Joe will be fine. The virus has died and gone. It won’t return. It’s just the consequences of the virus that are yet to be flushed out of his system.”
“Is there anything that you can do for him? Anything to wake him or provoke a reaction?”
“I am sorry, Mr Fox, I truly am.  But there’s really nothing we can do for him, and if there was, I wouldn’t advise it. Generally, I think we just need to let the body wait until it is ready itself.” The paediatrician pushed her fair hair out of her eyes and continued. “But once Joe does wake, we will have to do some tests, examinations, et cetera. Just standard procedure to check he’s doing alright. But we have no idea when that’ll be. It could be weeks yet, Mr Fox.”
“Thank you. It’s very kind of you.”
“It’s my job to care, Mr Fox. Now, we have your number so we’ll be in touch if there’s any progress. I suggest you get home and have a good night’s sleep.” Tim thanked her and left the room. 
Sitting outside on a seat and a half was Judith. She was wrapped up in a large blue coat and clutched a burgundy handbag to her stomach.  She stood up as Tim emerged from the ward. “How is he?” she asked, concerned.
“No change,” Tim replied sombrely. He started to button up a brown trench coat he had on. “I just wish that…” He couldn’t finish. He was trying hard not to cry, trying hard to be brave. 
Judith opened her arms and enclosed Tim, acting as a sympathetic shoulder to cry on. “I know, dear. I know,” she said, speaking ass one does to a child, but not patronisingly. Simply letting Tim know that she understood. “Let’s get you back to Fox Hall, yes?” And with her comforting arm, she guided him through the corridors of the hospital.
Back in the ward, Liz looked down at Joe’s face, the pale skin now red and blotchy. “How long is the maximum time someone can stay in a coma?” a girl in the Children’s Ward asked.
“Some people have been known not to wake for years, Rhiannon. Joe is very lucky though. It’s a good job there was somebody who could fish Joe out of the water quickly,” Liz explained. “All we can do is to keep on feeding him, and to rub that skin cream over him. You know how much I love that, don’t you!” 
Rhiannon smiled. “How old is he?”
“A bit younger than you, but I can’t say too much; patient confidentiality and all that.”  Liz sat on the chair beside Rhiannon’s bed. “How are you doing, Rhee?”
Rhiannon shrugged.
“You’ve put on a very brave face, under the circumstances.”
Rhiannon said nothing. Suddenly, her inquisitive and chatty nature had vanished. She now looked stroppy and as though she had just eaten a lemon. 
“You need to talk to someone about it!”
“No, I don’t. I’m fine. I don’t need a psychologist. They’re pointless and a waste of money. They didn’t help my mother when she was depressed, and they won’t help me.”
“Will you not even consider it?”
Rhiannon did not dignify Liz with an answer.
“You do know I’m only asking because I care for you so much?” Liz checked.
“Of course. I just don’t need to talk about it. I repress my feelings of grief. I bottle it up. It works for me.” Rhiannon looked at Liz who was smiling the smile that shows that she empathises with Rhiannon’s inner turmoil. Rhiannon’s eyes began to well up. “I miss her so much.” And she was gone. Her firm, gravel scowl had broken and she was a wreck of tears and gulps for air.
Liz sat beside her and put her arm around her, rocking her gently back and forth. “I know you do, Rhiannon. I know you do.” 


Tim sat at his desk staring out of the window. His eyes were sagging with tiredness; he had not slept well that past night. Outside, the whole lake had been cautioned off with cones and plastic tape. Tim blamed himself – he should have cautioned it off weeks ago. Now, after the accident he had called the Environmental Health Agency to stop bumping him down the list and treat the lake. He’d never shouted down the phone before but a mixture of contempt for himself and his carelessness, and grief for his unconscious son had forced him over a barrier he’d not often crossed. He looked out of his window and into space. Nowhere. Just a single point fixed in time and space. All sound was drowned out by the silence of his thoughts.
He was finally disturbed by a knock at the door. Tim jumped as he returned to the present day. He admitted entry and Judith and her niece edged in. “I’m going to take Nicole back home now. Marjorie’s managing dinner tonight and breakfast in the morning.” Tim nodded in response. “Um…Will you be alright, Tim?” Judith asked.
“I’ll be fine, thanks. You go, have fun at your sister’s.” Tim smiled a weak smile. Judith beamed back, putting her arm around her niece shoulders. “And I hope to see you back again, Nicole. You’ve proved to be a very good worker. Wendy says you’ll make a very good secretary, if only you weren’t so terrified of using the phone!”
Nicole, a black-haired girl with glasses that framed beautiful blue eyes, half-smiled. “Thank you for having me, Mr Fox. I’ve enjoyed working here.” It sounded much rehearsed but Tim accepted all the same. “I hope your son gets better soon, Mr Fox,” Nicole added.
“Me too. It’s a shame you didn’t get to meet him. Anyway, have a safe journey!” They left him and Tim returned to that single spot in space and time.


At the hospital, a doctor entered the ward carrying under his arm a clipboard and a pen. He wore a long white coat and his grey hair was styled into a side parting. He smiled at Rhiannon, who did not return the favour. “Good morning, Miss Evans.”
“Jones.”
“I’m sorry?”
“My name is Rhiannon Jones…Not Rhiannon Evans.”
“I am afraid that I don’t understand. The records say that…”
“Evans was my father’s name. I am no longer affiliated with him. I have claimed my mother’s name.”
“What happened, Rhiannon? What happened in that room? It has obviously caused you immense pain and suffering.”
“Wouldn’t you feel stressed if both your parents were dead and you had nowhere to go!” she snapped at him.
The doctor looked alarmed and then started writing, whilst saying: “I am recommending that you see a psychiatrist. We have a very good one…”
“I don’t need your ruddy psychiatrist. I don’t need any help, least of all from you.” Rhiannon glared at the doctor, who consequently left scribbling down on his clipboard.
Rhiannon stared at him as he left, angry that he thought he was so clever and so important just because he was a doctor. He thought he was so posh and upper class and better than those whose jobs were less important. Rhiannon sunk down into her pillow and picked up the book she was reading.


Judith drove down the country road towards the village that Nicole’s family lived in, a small place called Great Bullerton. It had been a long hour and a half drive and the signposts to the village gave her a great uplift. Nicole was jabbering along in the front passenger seat about what her family were secretly planning for her brother Nathan’s eighteenth party, before moving onto her plans for her eighteenth, even though there were still another four years to go. Judith entered the village and rounded a corner. 
But she gasped as she saw a great commotion of fire engines, ambulances and police cars and plenty of neighbours ahead. “What’s going on?” Nicole asked. Judith slowed the car down. It seemed as though Nicole’s family home had caught fire, and now, all that was left was the blackened infrastructure. Nicole leapt out of the car and ran towards the charred remains of her house. “What’s happened?” she shouted. 
Judith clambered out of the car and quickly followed her, taking her from the neighbours who prevented her from running into the house. “Nicole, I want you to go and sit in the car. I’ll find out what’s happened. Go and sit in the car, love,” Judith gently but firmly ordered.
“I want to see my mum!” Nicole said, terror-stricken.
“Go and sit in the car, Nicole,” Judith repeated. Slowly stepping back, Nicole returned to the car and sat inside watching her aunt intensely. Terrible thoughts entered her mind, resulting in tears streaking down her face.
Back at the remains, Judith explained who she and Nicole were and asked to know what had happened. “We don’t know how it happened yet,” the police officer said. “The fire crew are still examining the scene.”
“Were there any…any survivors?” Judith asked tentatively.
The police officer shook her head. “I’m so sorry. We found the bodies of a man, a woman and two teenage boys. Does that sound familiar?”
Judith felt faint and very pale, but she tried to act as professionally as she could. “Yes, that’s them. Do you have their names? I can give you them, if you like?”
“We’ve got the names already from one of the neighbours. Gregory, Isobel, Nathan and Nicholas. Is that correct, ma’am?”
Judith nodded. “I should get back and talk to Nicole. It’s going to rip her heart apart!”
“I’m truly sorry.”
Judith nodded grimly before turning back to face Nicole. As soon as she turned around with a melancholic look and tears down her face, Nicole’s entire self collapsed in grief, her life having split at the seams.


Over the week, Joe stirred several times. He vaguely found himself hooked up to various machines with tubes attached to various parts of his body, only to sink back into unconsciousness.


Finally he came out of his coma for good. He groaned clutching his stomach. It hurt, really badly. He pulled himself up and looked around. He felt dizzy. His mind was a swirling mist. Once his vision had returned to normal, Joe looked at the room he was in. He knew he must have been in a hospital: the smell of disinfectant, the white walls, and the immaculate, glossy floor. Joe saw beds on the opposite side of the ward to him and beds on either side of them. Some had the curtains closed around them, other didn’t. Some beds were occupied and others weren’t. 
“So you’re awake, finally.” Joe turned his head. A girl in the bed on his right was the addresser.  She had dark red hair and brown eyes in a frown. “I’m Rhiannon Jones. You’ve been in a coma for five weeks.” Joe didn’t say anything. Rhiannon paused, waiting for a reply. “Um, Liz is our nurse. In fact I’d better call her.” Rhiannon pushed a button. “She needs to call your dad to tell him you’ve woken.” Joe nodded. Rhiannon was getting annoyed at Joe’s persistent silence. “Can you speak?”
“Yeah,” Joe replied, slightly hoarsely. His throat hurt too.
“I was just getting a bit concerned.” The ward door opened, and Liz came in. 
“Yes, Rhiannon? Oh, Joe! You’re awake! Try not to move, I’ll go and get some doctors. I’m afraid you’ll need to undergo a lot of tests. And I’ll get someone to call your dad as well. He’ll be worried sick. Right, back in a mo.” Liz hurried out of the door.
There was silence as Joe and Rhiannon avoided eye contact for a while. “Why are you here?” Joe asked Rhiannon, awkwardly.
“Well, I’ve…I’ve had my appendix taken out,” Rhiannon lied hurriedly. It was easier to lie. It would save the hassle of sympathy and more awkwardness, and she felt better herself by lying too.
“Did it hurt?”
“Not as much as I thought. We all know why you’re here. You swam in a diseased lake.”
“Hey, I didn’t know it was diseased! It was an accident!”
“You’ve had some operations. The virus was really strong. It didn’t help that you’d swallowed so much water,” Rhiannon added. “You had to have your stomach pumped and the virus affected other parts of your body.”
“Right, anything else?” Joe asked.
“You had a heart transplant.”
“What?”
“Just kidding!” Rhiannon winked.
“Not funny!” Joe said, smiling. 
“Sorry, I couldn’t resist.”
Joe was soon taken cordoned off form the rest of the ward as the curtains were drawn. A doctor and another nurse performed several procedures on him, testing his reactions and taking blood samples for further tests. Joe felt swamped by the sheer number of tests that were being carried out. It was a strain to his mind after those five weeks of nothingness. And then he was prescribed medication that would help to stabilise something or other. And it was over. “We’ll be back again tomorrow to do the same until we know for sure that you are flushed of the virus,” the nurse explained as she tidied up after the doctor. Joe smiled and nodded, and then he was returned to the rest of the ward.


Half an hour later, Liz entered the ward again with Tim. He rushed towards Joe’s bed and embraced him in a hug. Joe was embarrassed in front of Rhiannon, but returned the embrace. When they let go of each other, tears were in Tim’s eyes.
“Joe, it’s great to see you awake. I’ve barely slept since the accident. Well, I had a nap yesterday afternoon, but I think Judith slipped a sedative into my tea!” 
“I wouldn’t put it past her! I’m…sorry about that argument.”
“Forget it. It’s my fault. I shouldn’t have pushed you to do something you didn’t want to do, son,” Tim sobbed. “I nearly lost you because of my selfishness.”
The father and son hugged each other again. Joe saw Rhiannon staring at them with a sad jealousy. “Dad, this is Rhiannon,” Joe introduced releasing his arms from around Tim’s neck.
“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Rhiannon. That’s a lovely name. Welsh, isn’t it?”
“Yes, my parents are from Wales originally.”
“Lovely. Wales is a beautiful country. I’ve only really been there on business, but when I got the opportunity to look around at the landscape, it is breath-taking. Where about in Wales are you from?”
“Cardiff.”
“Oh right. Been to Cardiff only once for a fleeting visit. I’ve mostly stayed in the north of Wales. But it’s a great city. Very alive.”
“Not when there’s a rampaging murderer on the loose.”
“No. I suppose not. That was a great tragedy. So many lives taken.”
“Twenty three, before they found him. Four were children.”
“That’s right. One struggles to understand that mind frame.”
“He had a child, you know.”
“Really? Interesting. Very interesting psychologically speaking. I do feel sorry for all families involved, but almost more for the murderer’s family. Having to live with that shadow over them.”
“Shunned from society.”
“Undeservedly, of course.”
“He was found in the north of Wales. Went on the run. Hid near Bangor.”
“That’s right. And now in prison.”
“He’s dead.”
“Really? When?”
“About a month and half ago. Serves him right.”
“You would fight those who bring death with death? You would lower yourself to their level?” Tim asked, enjoying the prospect of a debate. 
“My reasons would be for justice, not murder.”
“But,” Joe said, having been silent for a long time, “saying they should die is one thing, but could you personally shoot them? Could you pull the trigger and end their life? I couldn’t. Life is precious. Even if misused it has the potential for rehabilitation and the power to do some good in society.”
“No,” Rhiannon stated simply. “What that bastard did was inexcusable. And had he not taken his own life, I would have taken it for him.” She was resolute, but avoided eye contact. How could she with all those emotions bubbling just inside, nearly at the brink of spilling over. 
Tim looked at her and pitied her. A nerve had been struck within Rhiannon’s shell. “Well. I’d better be going. Do you know how long you’ll be here, Joe?” Tim asked.
“Liz said about a week,” Joe replied.
“Good. Shall I come and get you, or will you make your own way back? I might have to send Wendy down to get you – there’s a wedding taking place this weekend. It’s crazy at the Hall right now.”
“Fine, whatever. I’ll see you later.”
 “I’ll try and visit again soon. I…I love you, Joe. I’m do glad you’re back with us. It was lovely meeting you, Rhiannon.”
“You too, Mr. Fox,” Rhiannon smiled back. With a wave, Tim left the ward.


Rhiannon emerged from the room with Liz supporting her with a comforting arm. It had been a difficult few hours. She had spent it being interviewed harshly and being asked tricky questions about what had happened. Rhiannon would not discuss it with a psychiatrist but she would to the authorities. She could do something for the good of society this way. “Well done,” Liz said gravely. “That can’t have been easy for you. You were very brave.”
“I had no choice. I want people to know how disastrous the consequences are of a high security prison not being secure enough. Imagine, a monster like my father escaped from one of Her Majesty’s impenetrable prison. I need to know how such an atrocity happened. How long will the inquest take?”
“It could take weeks, I’m afraid. I know it’ll be difficult for you, but try and relax whilst you’re here at the hospital. Try not to let it eat away at you.” Rhiannon nodded, rolling her eyes. Liz had said this before. “You need to…”
“Come out of the other side with as positive an attitude you can get,” Rhiannon finished. “Thanks, Liz, but I have no intention of letting my father destroy all that makes me me. Rhiannon Jones does not let her enemies win. My father shall not win in destroying me.”
“I think…” Liz knew she had to be careful how she phrased this. “I think he did love you, Rhiannon.” Rhiannon glared at her. “He spared you.”
“Oh, how honourable of him! He spared my life whilst putting an end to all those that I loved. How kind of him!”
“I didn’t mean it quite like that, Rhiannon.”
“I know what you meant! But it doesn’t excuse him for taking away everything that I had! I have nothing now! Nothing!” Rhiannon sat down on one of the seats down the hospital corridor. “Oh God! I have got nothing.” Liz sat down beside her. “What am I going to do? I’ve got no family; I can’t go back to that house or that town. What the hell am I going to do?”
“It’ll work itself out, dear.”
“How? I’m alone with absolutely nothing and I don’t know what I can do! “ Rhiannon was getting hysterical. Liz knelt in front of her and took her by her shoulders. 
“Rhiannon. Listen to me. Calm down. Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out. We will not let you leave here on your own. I will not let you leave this hospital without some form of security, even if it means you have to live with me.”
“Really?” Rhiannon gasped through now controlled tears. 
“Yes. Of course.”
“Thank you.” Rhiannon hugged Liz, and let the tears fall. They were tears of both sadness and joy. After all, now she was clinging to her as the only worthy thing left in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment